BME at a Glance
- U-M BME is one of the largest BME graduate programs in the U.S. and has awarded more graduate degrees than any other BME department in the country.
- U-M is one of the only universities in the country with top-ranked engineering, medical, and business schools on the same campus.
- U-M BME is ranked #6 in undergraduate education by US News and World Report 2012.
- U-M BME is ranked #7 in graduate education by US News and World Report 2012.
- U-M BME is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org, one of only 71 BME Departments to achieve ABET accreditation.
- U-M BME has six graduate concentrations: bioelectrics, biomaterials, biomechanics, biotechnology, biomedical imaging, and ergonomics and rehabilitation engineering.
- U-M BME has combined an undergraduate/graduate program in one of three concentrations: biochemical, bioelectrics, biomechanics.
- U-M BME’s Lurie Biomedical Engineering building and the Carl Gerstacker building include state-of-the art research facilities for our faculty and students with access to a variety of biomedical labs throughout the U-M College of Engineering and the Medical School.
- The Wallace H. Coulter Foundation, along with the College of Engineering and the Medical School, has enabled the creation of a $20 million endowment to enhance and support research directed at technologies promising progression towards commercial development and clinical practice.
- Every core faculty member is involved in translational research with distinguished medical clinicians on a variety of projects.
- We are consistently ranked in the top ten for NIH research funding.
- U-M BME has the sixth-highest total research expenditures of all BME departments.
- U-M BME has the third-highest research expenditures per faculty member of all BME departments.
- 200 students in the BS program.
- 200 students in the graduate program.
- 18 tenured or tenure-track faculty members with primary appointments in BME.
- 68 tenured or tenure-track faculty members with secondary appointments in BME
- 4 non-teaching full-time research faculty
- 4 non-teaching research staff
- 14 administrative staff