Biomedical Engineering Career Resources
Job Search Advice
There are a lot of resources and sites available to assist you in your job search. The following listing provides information on companies, professional societies, Michigan and Midwest news and company information, and government resources and internship programs. Some sites simply provide links to various medical device, pharmaceutical or biotech companies. Other sites have job boards. Be patient and click through all the resources as there is much available.
For information on networking, resumes/CV, cover letters and interviewing click here.
BME Job Posting and Career Resource Website (password required) - Current BME students and alumni are welcome to access current job postings and career resources. You can also filter the postings by job type and employer by going to the category view. If you are affiliated with U-M BME please contact Lisa Waples for the password to the site, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not sure what to do with all this information or need help with your job search and career plans? If you are a University of Michigan Biomedical Engineering student, you can contact Lisa Waples, BME Consultant, at email@example.com to discuss your job search.
University of Michigan Resources
- After College BME University of Michigan - Job postings for biomedical engineers. Also visit the main After College website.
- Engineering Career Resource Center - Walk-in help available for writing/critiquing resumes and cover letters. Website has many helpful links including Alumni and Related Links. Also CoE workshops - Includes Resume Writing and Critiquing, Recruiter in Residence (industry reps critiquing resumes), Preparing for a Career Fair, Behavioral Interviewing, etc.
- Medical Device Register - Located at the Taubman Library, lists all the medical device manufacturers in the US and also contains a geographical listing of companies.
- Society for Women Engineers Information Sessions - The Michigan chapter of SWE holds corporate information sessions throughout the semester. Check this link often for new postings.
- Department of Biomedical Engineering - The Department hosts company events throughout the academic year. Announcements of events are sent to all active biomedical engineering students and post-docs.
Biotech/Medical Device Midwest Resources
- Concentrate Media
- Michigan Bio - Complete listing of Michigan biotech and medical device companies. Site has a link for posting resumes via the MichBio Life Science Talent Portal.
- LifeScience Alley - For a listing of Minnesota biotech/medical device companies, click here. Also visit the job board for positions in Minnesota.
Medical Device and Biotechnology Companies Nationwide
- AdvaMed - Advanced Medical Technology Association - Nationwide organization has extensive listing of medical device companies.
- BioLink - Nationwide network of biotechnology companies and educational opportunities.
- Biotech Career Center - Lists biotechnology companies and also has links to several biotech/medical device job sites.
- BioPharmGuy - This website consists of direct links to medical device/biotech/pharma company career pages categorized by business type and region or by US state. It has a mapping tool for students who are unfamiliar with different geographical areas. The site's editor/owner is a Michigan Engineering graduate.
- Biomedical Engineer - Job site lists some biomedical engineering positions.
- California Healthcare Institute - This site lists many of the biomedical companies in California. Go to Member Center, click on current members.
- Career Board - Job search web site for OH, PA, IN, MI and KY major metropolitan areas. Not specific to BME.
- Device Space - Medical device and diagnostics news and careers. Great site for up-to-date Industry news in biotech, medical devices and bio. Also posts jobs. Also BioSpace and ClinicalSpace can be accessed from the DeviceSpace website.
- IEEE EMBS - Has a career opportunities section with searchable jobs.
- Medical Device and Manufacturers Association (MDMA) - Large nationwide organization for medical manufacturers. Has a job board.
- Medzilla - A national job search site that focuses on biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, healthcare and science.
- Medical Device, Instrumentation and Supply Companies - Provided by the University of Minnesota, extensive list of medical device manufacturers.
- NanoScience and Technology Institute - listing of nanotech companies.
- Pharmaceutical Companies - Listing of pharmaceutical companies.
- Pharmaceutical Companies - 50 largest companies.
- Science - Posts academic, scientific and other positions. Also has good articles on careers in academia, government and industry.
- Venture Loop - Information on positions (full-time and internship) in venture backed companies.
- Zapconnect Medical Device Industry Portal - Good for researching companies. It helps to already have the names of companies.
Resources for Academic Positions
Government and Academic Resources for Internships
- AAMC, Association of American Medical Colleges, A listing of academic summer research programs.
- CDC, Centers for Disease Control, Internships and Fellowships
- NSF, Listing of University summer research programs Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU), search under engineering for biomedical engineering programs.
- NIH, has several programs, click on the Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research link for listing of programs available.
- FDA, Medical Device Fellowship Program
- NIST, National Institute of Standards